This building used to be a City Hall (Dutch: Stadhuis) which was built in 1707-1710 by order of the Governor-General Johan van Hoorn. The building resembles the Dam Palace in Amsterdam, consisting of the main building with two wings in the east andwest and sanding of buildings used as offices, court rooms, and underground spacesare used as a prison. On March 30, 1974, the building was then opened as the Museum Fatahillah.
In 1937, Oud Batavia Foundation filed a plan to establish a museum on the history of Batavia, the foundation will then buy the company’s warehouse Geo Wehry & Co., located in the east of the Great River, exactly on Jl. Pintu Besar Utara No. 27 (now the museum’s puppet) and rebuild it as a Museum Oud Batavia. Old Batavia Museum wasopened to the public in 1939.
Jakarta History Museum building was built in 1620 by”‘Governor-General Jan Pieterszoon Coen “‘ as the second courthouse in 1626 (the first town hall was built in 1620 near East Kali besar). According to historical records, this building only single-stage and second-level development built later.
In 1648 the building condition is very bad. Jakarta Land is very unstable and the weight of the building causing the building down from the surface. The easy solution is carried out by the Dutch government is not changing the existing foundation, but the floor is raised about 2 feet, which is 56 cm. According to a report 5 pieces of cells that areunder the building was built in 1649.
The main building in 1665 widened by adding each of the rooms in the East and West. After that some improvements and changes in building stadhuis and prisons continue tobe done to shape that we see today.
This building is not only used as stadhuis also used as the Raad van Justitie””(Board ofcourt), which later in the year 1925-1942 the building was used as the GovernmentOffice of West Java Province in 1942-1945 and used for the collection of logistics office of Dai Nippon. In 1952 the Military Command headquarters city (KMK) I, which later became KODIM 0503 West Jakarta. Year 1968 submitted to the Government of DKI Jakarta, and inaugurated the Museum of History Jakartapada March 30, 1974.
As common in Europe, the courthouse is equipped with a field called”stadhuisplein”. According to a painting of the money made by employees of the VOC”‘Johannes Rach“‘ which comes from”‘Denmark‘, in the middle of the field there is a fountain which is the only source of water for local communities. The water comes from Jewel Glodok connected by pipes to the stadhuiplein.
In 1972, excavations conducted on the field and found foundation fountain complete with pipes. So with that historical evidence can be rebuilt according to the image Johannes Rach, then created the fountain in the middle of Taman Fatahillah. In 1973 the Jakarta Government and re-creating the park is by givinga new name is”‘Park Fatahillah “‘ to commemorate the founding Fatahillah commanderof Jakarta.